Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Languages, Translators And Bibles


Mexico is certainly a land of contrasts, and has a culture made up of huge groups of people that live lives filled with great dissimilarities, to say the least. The people of Mexico are like a bowl of alphabet soup. The populace is composed of those that are well-studied, well-educated and worldly and then slides down to those that don’t know the first thing about germs, why things need to be refrigerated or how to speak the national language of Spanish. Each group draws merit to itself by the things that make them distinguished from another group by such things as the clothing, foods, folktales and dances they do. These are only some of the practices that make one group stand out against another one. Another one is language. Not everyone in Mexico speaks Spanish. Not everyone goes to school. And, many do not read or write any language at all.

It is said that in the world there are over 6,000 different languages, tongues and dialects. That fact makes it hard for Christian works to reach all people with the Gospel. It’s reported that there are over sixty or more idioms in Mexico. Some churches argue that every one, every where has already heard the Good News of God. Others believe that only about half the people in the world have heard the Word of God in their own language. I side with the second group. I have had to stand in Christian outreaches where we had to use two and three translators to get our message out to the people we were ministering to. It wasn’t easy, it took a long time and we were never truly sure of the final translation being true to what the preacher had spoken. It was impossible to know.

I have been in places where they used just one translator, English to Spanish, and the translation broke down and was not true to the speaker’s words. It’s hard to do it correctly. It’s an art and a talent and one must truly have a precise grasp of both languages to do it right.


Therefore, it is always my hope to bring Spanish language Bibles to the mission to use in our outreaches. I feel it is very important to place Bibles in the hands of the people so that they can read, study, learn and hopefully apply these truths to their lives. I don’t just want to tell them the truth, which I, of course, do. But, I hope to encourage them to read the Bible for themselves. I also enjoy question and answer times. I hope to not only bring Bibles but to also answer people’s questions, to strengthen their understanding and to help make them ready to share the Word of God with others.


Therefore, it is always my hope to bring Spanish language Bibles to the mission to use in our outreaches. I feel it is very important to place Bibles in the hands of the people so that they can read, study, learn and hopefully apply these truths to their lives. I don’t just want to tell them the truth, which I, of course, do. But, I hope to encourage them to read the Bible for themselves. I also enjoy question and answer times. I hope to not only bring Bibles but to also answer people’s questions, to strengthen their understanding and to help make them ready to share the Word of God with others.


Thanks for all the Bibles and for the tracts that you have sent down over the years. I always need more. Plus, Christian DVDs are also a great help to the ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment